APPLY NOW: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=4810428
The Portland Japanese Garden strives to maintain a welcoming environment where visitors and staff can be comfortable and free from concern. Security Officers should have strong customer service skills and a friendly, helpful demeanor. They are required to help protect the visitors’ positive experience during open hours and to protect the Garden, staff, and assets at all times. The Security Officers patrol the grounds, respond to emergencies, and carry out other assigned duties. The Security Officers report to the Operations Manager for Security.
We are primarily looking to fill day shifts on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays, with other hours still to be determined.
Our security officers are able to work at a consistent site and receive regular opportunities for extra hours and overtime.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including the booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and must provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Create a safe, friendly environment for visitors and employees while keeping a positive attitude
- Become familiar with and enforce site policies and procedures
- Observe and report incidents, criminal activities, or hazardous conditions as they arise
- Lock, unlock, and alarm facilities
- Control vehicular traffic entering site (at primary Garden location)
- Work cooperatively with other Garden departments and staff
- Maintain good working relationships with external security providers and law enforcement
- Perform regular sweeps of grounds and facility
- Write daily activity reports and incident reports to submit for review
- Keep work area clean and report any maintenance and/or damage concerns to appropriate manager
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear Garden uniform
- Current DPSST certification preferred, or ability to become certified prior to starting
- Proficient in using PC and MS Office (Outlook, Word, and Excel)
- Able to read, write, and communicate proficiently
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position and/or move about the Garden for several hours in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift, carry, push, or pull up to fifty (50) pounds
Compensation & Schedule
- Wage: $18.50/hour
- This is a full-time, hourly, seasonal position with 40 hours per week.
- a household membership to the Garden
- reciprocal access to other area attractions, such as Portland Art Museum, OMSI, and Oregon Zoo
- a 30% discount on most items in the gift shop
- incentives for using alternative transportation to commute to work
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program
- paid sick time
- eligible for the company 401k plan upon completion of 500 hours in the first 6 months of employment (4% employer match after 1 year of service)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
- Parking: Staff may park in the numbered spaces throughout Washington Park, which require payment. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
- Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
- Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume, and three work-related references through our online Career Center below. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.