Apply Now: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=5199196
The Facilities Technicians are responsible for providing proactive hands-on maintenance and responsive service for repairs and projects for all facilities campus wide. The Facilities Technicians report to the Facilities Manager and work from the Garden’s primary campus, located at 611 SW Kingston Ave.
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: For the safety of our staff, volunteers, and guests, Portland Japanese Garden requires all staff and volunteers to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, including the first booster. Candidates must be fully vaccinated by their hire date and provide proof of vaccination upon hire.
- Become familiar with all building systems within the Garden campus to develop and execute regular maintenance plans for all physical structures, equipment, and systems, ranging from historic home construction to highly sophisticated mechanical systems
- Track all repairs and maintenance to ensure work is fully completed and done well
- Record and maintain all expenditure records, and assist in preparing yearly budgets
- Monitor fulfillment of service contracts for building equipment, pest control, etc.
- Coordinate and manage service providers and contractors for special projects and preventative maintenance
- Maintain a well-organized inventory of maintenance supplies and tools
- Help execute regular floor care, roof cleaning and repair, and gutter cleaning campus-wide
- Participate in periodic deep cleaning projects at each physical structure, including interior and exterior areas
- Repair, paint, and maintain walls
- As assigned, help maintain Garden vehicles
- Proactively communicate with staff when facilities work will impact their work environment
- Support the Director of Facilities in providing 24 hour on-call support for troubleshooting facility emergencies
- Other duties as assigned
- Familiarize oneself with the organization and the Employee Handbook
- Get to know fellow staff members, developing trust, establishing credibility, encouraging teamwork, and creating an atmosphere of open, honest, two-way communication
- Serve as a role model for Garden volunteers, providing support and encouragement to volunteers in their roles across the Garden
- Maintain a high level of professionalism in manner and appearance
- Adhere to safe working practices, including wearing appropriate attire for assigned tasks
- Adhere to Garden Dress Code and wear company-provided Garden uniform
- Minimum one year of facility maintenance experience or related experience
- Maintenance and building skills, including plumbing, electrical, carpentry, drywall, and painting
- Additional skills including electronics, welding, metalworking, woodworking, or other is a plus
- Willingness and strong desire to learn new maintenance and building skills
- Customer service skills and a strong desire to serve others, especially other departments
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Experience with design software preferred
- High School diploma required
- Current driver’s license and safe driving record
- Ability to work independently and exhibit initiative to solve problems
- Ability to handle multiple demands and shifting task priorities while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to recognize when a task requires additional help and ask for it
- Ability to repeatedly lift up to 75 pounds and maneuver heavy items
- Ability to work at heights (willingness to climb and work on tall ladders and/or mechanical boom lifts)
- Knowledge of and manual dexterity with potentially hazardous tools and equipment
- Ability to occasionally work weekends, garden events, and special hours when needed
- Clear communication skills, both verbal and written
- Attention to detail and willingness to take the extra step to do it well
Compensation & Schedule
- Wage: $22.50/hour
- This is a full-time, hourly position with 40 hours per week, Sunday – Thursday.
- health, dental, and vision insurance (premium 100% covered for employees)
- 401k plan (after 6 months, with 4% employer match after 1 year)
- flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- paid vacation, sick, and holiday time
- free access to the Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
The Garden is located at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, in Washington Park. Below are the transportation options for staff commuting to the Garden:
- Parking: Staff may park in the pay-to-park spaces throughout Washington Park. The cost is $8/day, or staff may request parking permits from Washington Park. The Garden subsidizes a portion of the cost for parking permits; the cost for staff is $75/month during the high season (March – September) and $50/month during the low season (October – February).
- Bus Passes: For staff who take public transit as their primary means of commuting to the Garden, we provide paid bus passes. Full-time staff receive a monthly TriMet pass, and part-time staff receive daily passes, based on their work schedule.
- Transportation Stipend: Staff who take any form of alternative transit to get to work qualify for a $5 daily stipend. This includes taking public transit, walking, biking, carpooling, or getting dropped off. The only staff who do not qualify for the stipend are those who are receiving a bus pass through the Garden.
To apply, please submit a resume and three work-related references through our online Career Center (link provided below.) Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please no phone calls or hand delivered applications. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
APPLY NOW: https://recruiting.myapps.paychex.com/appone/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=5199196