If current job isnt enough, or is no longer suitable for you, or you desire to be elsewhere, then it is time for a change. Altering your career path is not a decision to be taken lightly, but if you go through with it, here are five goals to keep in mind while you apply for jobs in Portland. These tips are courtesy of The Wall Street Journal.
1. Establish your goals: according to The Journal, goals relating to career change should be sorted into three categories: short-term goals, intermediate goals, and long-term goals.
2. Do some research: if you are going to change careers, then make sure you identify which industries are expanding. Job boards and business news publications are the best places to look. The Journal also identifies the Labor Departments Occupational Outlook Handbook (which can be found on the website of the Bureau of Labor Statistics) as a good research source
3. Take some assessment tests: these tests can help you discover or rediscover skills and talents and jobs that suit these abilities. The three tests that The Journal recommends are the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, Strong Interest Inventory, and Campbell Interest & Skill Survey.
4. Find out what skills youll need for your new career path: youll have to do some more research to cover this step. Networking comes into play as well. Taking classes and doing volunteer work can help you improve on the necessary skills if your credentials are lacking.
5. Revamp your resume: we have established that your resume should be different for each job; in this case, highlight skills or experience that you believe will be most relevant to your new line of work.
By Kyle Wise
Click here to find Portland jobs
Back to About