Hop on board and join TriMet as the Assistant Manager of Bus Maintenance! We want you to lead our fantastic team of bus maintenance employees! This is an essential position that works to maintain high standards of vehicle reliability, efficiency, cleanliness and safety. In this role, you’ll plan and supervise the maintenance, repair, and inspection of our vehicles. Start the engine and join our team today!
The Assistant Manager, Bus Maintenance supervises the maintenance activities of Bus Maintenance employees to maintain high standards of vehicle reliability, efficiency, cleanliness and safety. They coordinate training, evaluation of work and staffing requirements for all functions within supervisor's span of control.
The Supervisor of Bus Maintenance will plan and supervise the maintenance, repair, servicing, vaulting, and inspection of all assigned revenue vehicles and equipment to ensure maximum productivity.
This position is performed in-person, five (5) days a week.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
Serve as a good steward of TriMet by regularly utilizing our transit system to maintain a strong and current understanding of customers’ experiences and of TriMet’s product and service offerings.
1. Supervise shift employees performing interior and exterior cleaning of Bus fleet, preventive maintenance, running repair, and fleet campaign programs. Ensure daily work is assigned and there is adequate staff coverage for work. Assign work to mechanics utilizing Maintenance Management Information System (MMIS) to ensure adequate fleet numbers available for pullout of buses and to monitor maintenance activities to insure compliance with program goals. Conduct daily shift meetings to provide important information provided by Garage Manager. Perform daily and weekly QC audits.
2. Promote efficient allocation of labor and supplies to ensure timely completion of all maintenance activities and projects within established budget guidelines. Ensure efficiency and conformity in operation through effective communication with other supervisory staff and Mangers.
3. Monitor employee attendance and absence records. Approve requests for vacation, sick leave, FMLA, and overtime use. Complete documentation and investigation as it relates to workers' compensation process.
4. Provide effective coaching and counseling to guide employees toward high work standards and performance. Monitor employee performance and conduct performance evaluations. Maintain discipline through equal applications of all rules, procedures, policies and the Labor Agreement. Document and recommend any necessary discipline to Manager.
5. Conduct regular inspections of work areas and conditions in order to maintain clean and safe working environment. Assure safe and efficient use of shop equipment and supplies. Conduct monthly safety meetings. Understand, comply with, and enforce District rules and procedures to ensure a safe work environment for employees and customers. Ensure appropriate protocols are followed when employees are required to comply with drug and alcohol testing. Orient and train employees about work site hazards, safe and proper use of tools, equipment, and systems.
6. Coordinate productivity improvement processes by encouraging employee creativity and involvement to find short and long-term efficiencies. Evaluate and implement new techniques and improvements to identify problems and find solutions that improve work performance and environment.
7. Understand and apply Agency policies, procedures and Working and Wage Agreement. Perform labor relations activities including meeting with employees and union representatives to resolve disputes and grievances.
8. Train new employees on maintenance equipment and procedures. Document and conduct evaluations during probationary period of both new employees.
A High School Diploma/GED or equivalent is required.
An Associate's Degree is preferred.
A minimum of four (4) years total credited experience.*
Three (3) years of operational experience in a 24-hour, 7 days per week medium to large size fleet maintenance are required.
Three (3) years of experience in a combined union and non-union organization are required.
One (1) year of lead operational experience in a 24-hour, 7 days per week medium to large size fleet maintenance is required.
Possession of a valid driver's license, with a good driving record with no more than one accident or two moving violations in the previous five years, is required.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
*The amount of credit a candidate receives for prior years of experience is based on the relevancy of that experience to the required or preferred prerequisites of the job description. Experience is prorated based on hours worked. LRHR assigns and validates the "credited experience".
Type of Position / Grade / FLSA
Grade 15, Exempt, Non-Union, Full-Time
Salary offers will be determined by a candidate’s education, training and relevant experience. Any final offer of employment will fall within the range stated above. For transparency, we choose to list the full available grade range, however, TriMet’s salary administration process will ultimately determine the final salary offered.
Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Application Review (please include: Cover Letter and Resume)
2. Panel Interview
3. Reference Check
Make sure you describe in detail how your education, training and work experience fit with this role. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and/or letters of recommendation with your application. You are permitted five attachments of less than 5MB each.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and attach supporting documentation at the time of application submission.
If you need accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process, contact our Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 7-1-1. Note that we require a minimum of two workdays' notice prior to the need for accommodation.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including veterans, the elderly, and individuals with disabilities.
As applied to the workplace, applicants and employees must be qualified to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation. Essential functions may include required job functions performed infrequently as well as production standards related to the quality and quantity of work.
If a person with a disability could meet job qualifications with a reasonable accommodation, TriMet will work with the employee to accommodate the need. If TriMet's accommodation is effective in allowing the employee to perform the essential functions of the job, it need not be the employee's preferred accommodation.
Do not contact this company in solicitation of any product or service.